找回密码
 注册

ADVERTISEMENT

查看: 2792|回复: 22

与法相遇 - - -佛教徒的故事 ---近万名"贱民"归佛

[复制链接]
发表于 21-2-2008 03:49 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
感谢岁姐将资料寄回给我!

有去基督福音版的人应该知道那里有一位女生很用心的贴上基督徒的见证。有的很动人,很有启发性。我们看到佛教徒见证相关的报导和文章,也贴上来吧!太过玄或感应类的,就免了吧(不是说这些文章不好,而是这些文章太多了,相反的像以下的文章比较少)!

杀人魔鸯掘摩归信三宝- - -印度电影“鸯掘摩尊者”片段

Buddham saranam gacchami
        I go to the Buddha for refuge.
Dhammam saranam gacchami
        I go to the Dhamma for refuge.
Sangham saranam gacchami
I go to the Sangha for refuge.

[ 本帖最后由 mahalwin 于 14-10-2008 09:31 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 21-2-2008 04:14 PM | 显示全部楼层
禅修改变了我

How meditation has changed me

Andy - A practising Buddhist at the Tara Centre
                Andy is a Buddhist. He has been learning how to meditate over a period of three years. Now he is sharing his skill by becoming a meditation teacher. Find out what being a Buddhist means to him.

Andy, who moved to Derby from Brighton to study at Derby Uni, is now training to be a meditation teacher at the Tara Buddhist Centre in Etwall, Derbyshire.

起初,参与禅修只是想知道是否能协助自己更快乐,减低压力。
I originally went along to a meditation class to see if I could help myself to feel happier, less stressed and as a way to deal with negativity.
起头难。努力后开始受益
I found the meditation quite hard to begin with as my mind didn't want to keep still, but the teachings were very inspiring so I kept going along. It made all the hard work worth it when it started to make me feel calm and I did begin to feel much happier.

Peaceful meditation
I then started to try to do it on my own, I would do a breathing meditation which would make my mind very still and peaceful and then a meditation such as loving kindness or compassion, from a cycle of 21 meditations I was given.
三年的禅修带来很大的转变:安乐,慈悲心的发展
I have been meditating now for about three years and have certainly seen great changes in my life.  I feel much more peaceful, content and able to maintain a good heart towards others. The purpose of meditation is to make us peaceful This has a knock on effect and you can't help but feel good.  It is important to familiarise yourselves with states of mind that are by nature satisfying and happy.
This familiarity comes through hearing teachings or reading books, contemplating or thinking about the meaning and meditating on it.  
Meditation works on a very deep level, changing your intentions and feelings, not just on the surface or at an intellectual level, but in your heart.  When you've thought about the meaning or when you arise from meditation you then try to carry the feeling with you and put it into practice in your daily life.  
Since 'getting on with your day-to-day life' takes up the majority of your time, I find that the meditation actually does its work after I've physically done it.

For example, if you've been meditating on loving, kindness or patience, then when you are with your friends or at work you try to put it into practice.  The more I've put this into practice the happier I've become and the more I find I can help others.
I think Buddhism and meditation can be taken on many different levels according to peoples' wishes and inclinations. For some people it is to lead a happier life, for others it is to follow the Spiritual path to Full Enlightenment.
使生命更尊贵,更有意义
I feel like I am making my life very precious and meaningful, as I am using it to improve my good qualities.  In this way I can attain a lasting happiness and share this with others.  

I am now living at Tara centre, a Buddhist centre in Etwall, near Derby.  I've been living here nearly two years. I would say the main advantages of living here would be, being part of a growing spiritual community that provides support and friendship, and an opportunity to follow a systematic study programme.  
I am also training to be a meditation teacher and currently teach two classes a week, in Ashbourne and Stratford.

一个慈爱友善快乐的法团:原因?大家都训练自己的意识,奉习慈爱,智慧等等。
It is a very kind and happy community, I think because everyone is trying to train their mind and practice love, wisdom and so forth.
I find these teachings are invaluable personal advice for inner peace and happiness.  
您并不需住在修持中心或自称佛教徒才能修习和获得利益。
You don't have to be living in a centre or call yourself a Buddhist to practice and benefit from them.
您只需要希望更快乐!
All you need is a wish to be happy.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 21-2-2008 10:39 PM | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 mahalwin 于 21-2-2008 04:14 PM 发表
禅修改变了我

这书里面说了很多关于西方年轻人接触佛教的故事喔~
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-3-2008 11:30 PM | 显示全部楼层
阿姜甘达须利: 应尊敬体谅,而非敌对关系

阿姜甘达须利(Ajahn Candasiri)目前住在英国汉梅汉普斯特镇的涅槃寺,她是一位极资深的西方尼师。

以下的访谈,她分享她以西方女性成为上座部佛教尼师的个人经验。

问:能否请您谈一下自己的背景,以及如何走上佛教修行之路?

答:我是在基督教苏格兰圣公会的环境薰陶下成长,青少年时期,对宗教非常虔诚。长大后,我拒绝加入任何有组织的宗教,大学时期的我桀骜不驯,对于探索生命本身则有很浓厚的兴趣。在某个偶然机缘下,我拜访伦敦的汉普斯特精舍(Hampstead Vihara),在那儿遇见阿姜苏美多(Ajahn Sumedho)。他所说的一切听来很有道理,但当初我并不知道这就是佛法的义理,虽然这些僧侣对我而言非常陌生,但他们是我见过思路最清晰,也最安详自在的人。后来阿姜苏美多在一次为期10天的闭关中谈到戚瑟斯特(Chithurst)这个地方,那儿有座奉行森林传统头陀行的寺院,他还提到女性有机会接受训练成为尼师。我听过之后,还以为在那儿所有女性必然争相加入僧团,但事实上,我是那儿唯一有兴趣出家的女性!能够跟自己极为景仰的人,全心全意地共同生活在同一个团体中,实在是很大的福报,我对他们的教导和修行方式极有信心,我明白自己也能以某种方式理解并受益,而佛法能让世界成为更美好的地方。

不应只依附在男性僧团

问:您身为一名佛教上座部比丘尼的经验是什么?

答:我刚成为比丘尼时的情况,与现在大不相同。当初只有4名女性住在戚瑟斯特,她们是受到阿姜苏美多与其他比丘尼的鼓励。这群人有一股拓荒精神,随着时间增进,我们彼此也产生深厚的感情。但渐渐的,对于沙弥的地位优于我们这件事,大家变得愈来愈难接受,而且,随着比丘尼不断增加,团体间似乎需要更多的凝聚力。我们不应该只是依附在男性僧团中,而是必须有一个独立自主的团体。很显然我们对这份决心表现极大诚意,所以阿姜苏美多开始向泰国的僧团长老们大声疾呼,希望能提供我们一套与比丘的训练方式相近的修行,让我们更清晰认识整个修行的架构。经过将近4年的努力,终于同意让我们受出家十戒,包括要我们放弃私人财产,我们由原本穿着白袍改为穿着棕褐色的僧服,并获得托钵用的陶碗。

从1984到1991年,有一位比丘协助我们建立自己的修行制度,他带领我们,并且为整个团体做计划和决策,我们都非常尊敬他。但随着自信渐增,终于到了我们要开始自己做决定的时刻了。多年来,我个人一直获得巴梭瓦(Pathomwan)这位泰国八戒女的许多帮助,她鼓励我不必太担心自己是否得到尊敬或平等待遇,这些事情自然而然会在修行的结果中呈现。她的建议更证实我向来的那份直觉是对的,不管其他人的忧虑,我感到如释重负,轻松自在。

修行向来都是困难的,我们仍然在学习,大多时候,不论在任何阶段,我总是遭遇挑战。幸运的是,我是个非常乐观并对未来有积极展望的人,即使当事情看起来没希望时,我对自己的团体也从未生起任何怀疑,总是有信心事情最终将会顺利。要对比丘尼团体的发展有一些想法并不难,但要让这份理念落实,则需要克服许多艰难的内在障碍,但我坚信一切是事在人为。这觉得是我一生中最美好的事,为生命带来极大的喜悦。

想一偿受比丘尼俱足戒的心愿

问:您对于斯里兰卡重新建立比丘尼受戒传统,内心有何感想?

答:我认为这是件很好的事情,我自己在某种意义上,也渴望回到佛陀时代那样,成为那个传承的一部分。以前,每当我见到比丘尼受俱足戒的仪式时,都会感到阵阵心痛,因为那似乎已是非常古老又遥远的事,而我们永远都无缘参与其中。但是在我思考之后发现,事实上在自己所属的比丘尼团体中,也有非常殊胜的事物,为女性在这个传承中做开路先锋的工作,甚至能创造出更大利益,我们有自己的受戒仪式,拥有一个女性能够修行并参与其中的团体,但我仍希望在死前能有机会一偿受比丘尼俱足戒的心愿。

关于恢复比丘尼受戒传统这件事,我确实很关心这些接受如此严厉身心锻炼的女性,到底能得到什么样的支持,我知道她们所面对的情况有多艰难。所以,虽然思及比丘尼生活十分令人鼓舞,但一想到有些女性即使接受比丘尼俱足戒,却无法熬过严苛的训练,内心就不免感到挫折。对我而言,把那些支持我们迈向解脱之路的戒律,作一番合宜的诠释,是很重要的事。我也需要知道,有愈来愈多的僧团,对此已经有全然的理解与赞同。

当女性奋力挣扎想获得与男性平等的地位时,我常感到悲哀,说真的,我不认为女性需要为此竞争,在我们寺院中对比丘有一套正式的礼敬,但事实上这当中存在着彼此尊敬和体谅,应该是种互补而非敌对的关系。

问:随着佛教传入西方社会,女性是否扮演某种特殊的角色?

答:她们能够赋予生命某种特质。有一次我参访戚瑟斯特,由于那里只有比丘,所以弥漫着一股男性的竞争能量,那是种阳刚又精力充沛的感觉。在几位比丘尼到达那儿几天之后,整个能量场转变了,在男性精神层面中,也出现阴柔面,而我们发现到,这是因为女性佛教徒能培养信心,并呈现出女性柔善的面向,它调和阳刚的能量使之得到平衡。

http://www.nanyang.com/index.php?ch=55&pg=208&ac=821041

[ 本帖最后由 mahalwin 于 19-3-2008 11:32 PM 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 17-4-2008 09:15 PM | 显示全部楼层

南瓜法师西游记

http://www.nanyang.com/index.php?ch=55&pg=208&ac=834478

毗亚难陀化普乐法师(Bhante Walpola Piyananda)是一位来自斯里兰卡的佛教比丘,12岁剃度出家,1976年前往美国深造研究宗教比较学,之后即长居洛杉矶弘法。

《南瓜法师西游记》是他的著作,书中的20则文章,是他旅美弘法时,一连串笑中带泪的故事。

佛道之锁

文:丹津嘉措

慈悲,是进入佛道之钥。如果我们学会在任何情况下以慈悲对待一切众生,必能得到快乐。在这本书中,毗亚阿难陀化普乐法师透过自身经验的故事,直接显露这种慈悲。

毗亚难陀化普乐法师是来自斯里兰卡的长老比丘,他旅居美国已超过23年。他在美国完成此书,将南传佛教的方法具体表现得恰到好处,书中许多教诲适用于所有佛教宗派。他也成功地描述自己与在美国生活的各色人等交往的广泛经验,无论亚洲人或美国人、佛教徒或非佛教徒,并将这一切经验都安置于佛陀教诲的脉络中;如此一来,我相信他创作了人人都能感到与自己切身相关的一本书。

本书描述我们日常生活中发生的事,这些故事提供生动逼真的实例,让我们知道该如何以最慈悲的方式回应发生在自己身上的种种遭遇。毗亚难陀法师通晓佛教经典,总能针对每个特定的情况引述佛陀法语,书中每个故事都与某个事件有关,并且描述毗亚阿难陀法师如何置身其中。

具有令人钦佩特质

毗亚难陀法师具有一种令人钦佩的特质,也就是对于自己是经过传统训练的斯里兰卡上座部比丘这个身分,他从不曾舍弃。而且,他也始终慈悲待人,无意将自己的信仰强行加诸于接触的对象。的确,他无论何时何地都与人分享佛陀的教诲,但是他这么做只是慈悲地想帮助人们面对他们所遭遇的任何处境。

我相信读者会发现从这本书获益良多,除此之外,本书也有许多小插曲让人会心一笑,换句话说,读者将从阅读本书中获得乐趣。

当南瓜法师遇上庞克族

文:毗亚难陀化普乐法师 中译:方怡蓉(节录自《南瓜法师西游记》)

当我与几个朋友接近沙滩时,一幅奇特的景象吸引了我的目光,有5名年轻男女像一群野牛般朝我们跑来,他们穿得破破烂烂,还顶着一头紫发。我们放慢脚步,让自己镇定下来,并且改道走到木板路边。站在这群人中间的年轻男子,发型看起来就像豪猪的刺!他的头发直竖,好像身体某个部位插进插座全身通电一样;他还将两侧的头发剃光,以加强整个视觉效果。他的衬衫色泽鲜艳,五颜六色,绝对可以让因晚起而睡眼惺忪的人睁开双眼。

“嘿!你们瞧!”那群状似遭到电击的年轻人之一大声宣布:“看来我们好像找到一颗光头南瓜啰!哎哟!他连根头发也没有。”

我努力保持镇定回应:“你们是庞奇族(Punkies)吗?”

“他在说什么?庞奇族?庞气族?”他们开始嘲笑这种外国口音。“你要说的是庞克族吧?”

“哦?你们是这样称呼自己的啊!”我回答:“庞克族,嗯,你们知道吗?我可是新型庞克喔!”

这句惊人之语,令他们一时之间似乎都愣住了。

“没错,我就是新型庞克。”我小心翼翼地继续说。

“你们都落伍了,而我是最新潮的庞克。你们看,你们的衣服什么颜色都有,而我只有一种颜色──鲜黄色。可是说实话,我什么颜色也不执著。还有,你们只剃掉两侧的头发,我可是整个头都剃光了。看吧!我才是新庞克!”

他们全都呆若木鸡──要不是对我十足的胆识感到惊异,就是因为他们正极力分辨我是有潜在危险的疯子,或只是单纯的怪胎。无论如何,这都使得他们不得不专注,开始仔细倾听。这时,我自知已经掌握他们,而我不想失去他们的注意力。

他们盯着我看时,我友善地伸出手,“哈啰!我的名字是法师──毗亚难陀法师。”

“毗亚──什么?”其中一个女孩回应。

“法师,意思是心灵上的朋友;毗亚代表欢喜,难陀代表快乐之人。所以,我是你们欢喜快乐的心灵之友。”

向海洋学习人生智慧

这群色彩绚烂的年轻人加入我们的行列,一起朝海滩走去。我们在中途稍作休息,我指着海洋,对他们说我们可以从海洋那儿学到一些东西。

“我们可以从那片笨海学到什么东西啊?”那个叫安娜的女孩问,态度极为挑衅。

“请听我解释,很多河流都有自己的名字,这些河流都会流入海洋,一旦河水与海水混合,所有的河流会归于一,无法分辨彼此;同样地,不同信仰、文化与传统的人来到美国,最后都流注于同一个社会。”

“那么,告诉我们,你到底是谁?现在我们已经知道你不是外星人啦!”顶着一头豪猪发型的高夫说,这时他笑得更开心了,而且非常好奇。

“我是佛教僧侣,而且就像我刚刚讲过的,人们都称我为法师,不过任何一种标签都无关紧要。你们还记得莎士比亚剧中的名言吧?‘名字本身是什么?我们所谓的玫瑰,若是换了其他名字,它的气味还是一样芬芳。’一如海洋,我们必须跨越阶级、教义、种族、宗教与其他差异的隔阂,学习以博爱之心对待所有人,这么做将有助我们过着和谐的生活。海洋,是大小形体各异的种种鱼类的家,每种鱼都有同样的生存机会,你们说是不是?”

“才怪!”宾可大声反对:“大鱼吃小鱼。”

“这就是美国人的模式。”他们都异口同声地附和。

“小鱼如果够聪明的话,就可以躲避掠食者的吞噬而存活。”我说:“我们国家的人都说:‘各人的手护住各人的头。’每个人要做自己的避风港。如果你这辈子想要有任何作为,就得坚忍不拔,才能达到自己的目标。”

“这还满有趣的,”宾可回应:“再跟我们多讲一点海洋的启示。”

应摒弃隐藏的不净念头

“河流挟带各种砂砾、垃圾流入海洋,但海浪会将这些废物冲到岸边;同样地,我们必须摒弃隐藏在自己内心深处的不净念头。这些不净的思想通常由愤怒、仇恨和嫉妒所产生,这些思想在心中一出现,你们就应该马上将它们丢弃。”

“说可比做容易多了。”野丫头说:“我最大的问题就是我爸妈,他们真的很烦,我实在无法让自己不恨他们。”

“我了解你的感受,可是你的父母赐给你生命,他们这份恩情,你永远也无法报答。”我暂停片刻,让她有点时间领会这种想法。“父母为自己的子女付出很多,他们将孩子抚养长大,供给衣食,让孩子认识世界,并且尽全力保护他们。父母也是最早教导你们的老师。”

宾可开口:“让我头大的问题是我继父,我小时候他虐待我。过去他常常打我,还对我做过更糟的事。他也揍我妈,我却无能为力。我永远也无法原谅他!”讲到最后这句话,他咬牙切齿,一拳打在沙地上。

“宾可,虽然你继父虐待你,你一定要想办法原谅他,把心中的恶意和复仇念头放下。我知道你想报复,回报他对你、对你妈做过的事,可是再怎么做也改变不了过去。现在,你就快要被自己的仇恨淹死了,唯有原谅他,你才能获救,免于溺毙。

“法师,你很会讲故事耶!我喜欢你讲的海洋故事,请再多告诉我们。”高夫说。

乐观人眼中的光明美好

我继续说:“雨可能连年下个不停,但海洋永远不会涨满而泛滥,对不对?或者也有可能一连好几年没下雨,可是海洋也不会干涸,这也是真的吧?同样地,人也可能一再受到称赞,可是有智慧的人不会因此变得骄傲自大,像高涨泛滥的水;此外,人也可能一再遭受不公平的指责,但是有智慧的人不会让自己因此沮丧不悦,像干涸的海。

“在乐观的人眼中,这个世界完全是光明美好的;而在悲观的人看来,全世界都是冷酷无情的。其实,生命不断在改变,是无常的。人一辈子都可能有得有失,获得名望,受到赞美,过得快乐;也可能被人指责,经历痛苦,而且这些经历很有可能重复发生。”

“人类是世界上最高等的生物。我们佛教徒相信,能生而为人是非常幸运的,因为只有人类才能发掘自己内在的宝藏,直达自己潜能之海的深处。”

“哇!法师,你讲起话来好酷!我们喜欢跟你聊天。什么时候才能再跟你见面?”到目前为止,一直保持沉默的大熊问我。

“这是我的名片,将来你们有任何问题,我都非常乐意回答,不管有关海洋或你们想到的其他任何事。”

“谢谢!”他们异口同声地说。

接着他们向我的朋友致谢,谢谢他们这天陪我(南瓜法师)一起到海滩来——“南瓜法师”就是此后他们对我的称号。然后他们转身离去,奇特而五彩缤纷的发型在耀眼的阳光下闪闪发光。

读者可能感到意外,沙滩偶遇的那5人后来真的都到寺里找我,有3个人成为我的弟子,其中一人甚至成为佛教法师,直到现在都一直跟我保持联系。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 08:43 PM | 显示全部楼层
趋向佛法  Approaching Buddhism

Eskdalemuir, Scotland (UK) -- When one encountersanyone born in the west who is a Buddhist, the likelihood is that they were notborn into the faith, but have come to it in later life as a result of theirindividual, spiritual journey rather than because of their upbringing. And soit was with me.
file:///C:/Users/albert/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg<< Ani RinchenKhandro
出生于一个犹太和天主教家庭
Having been born in Manchesterto parents of Jewish and Catholic origins I was brought up in a Jewishhousehold and even attended a Jewish school where Hebrew was part of thecurriculum.

As with many young people my teenage years were a time of rebellion,searching for and asserting my identity. In a state of confusion anduncertainty Agnosticism seemed to be the only honest position to take.
我的工作性质使我游历不同的地方,接触不同的文化和信仰。在印尼巴厘岛生活的八年里,巴厘人的宗教信仰唤醒了沉睡的灵性
(这一段是否翻译正确?)
In adulthood my work as a writer and designer led to extensive travel andexposure to many different cultures and belief systems. The eight years I spentliving in Bali, Indonesia were particularlyinfluential in awakening my dormant spirituality. Balinese religion is aneclectic mix of Hinduism, Buddhism and Animism.
巴厘人的宗教信仰融入他们生活的每个层面。(你我是否是“初一十五佛教徒”,“卫赛佛教徒呢?)
What attracted me was the way in which the religion pervadedevery aspect of Balinese life. It isn’t something practiced predominantly onthe Sabbath but rather the essence of everyday activity manifesting ineverything from daily flower offerings distributed to a multitude of shrines inand around the home, to joyfully elaborate music and dance accompanying endlessceremonies and rites of passage.
这段期间,我阅读了很多各宗教,各信仰源流的灵修/灵性书籍。慢慢的,我阅读的佛教书籍(尤其是藏传佛教)超越了其他信仰的书籍。西藏伟大的圣人,密勒日巴尊者的事迹特别地启发我。
During this period of my life I was also a voracious reader of spiritualbooks of many traditions. It was a time of ‘spiritual shopping’. Gradually theBuddhist books began to outnumber the others with Tibetan Buddhism becomingparticularly prevalent. The story of Tibet’s great Saint, the YogiMilarepa, was especially inspiring as it demonstrated how it was possible toovercome even the most adverse circumstances and still become a Buddha in onelifetime. More contemporary inspiration came from His Holiness the Dalai Lamawhose books I devoured avidly.

回到英国后,我听闻达赖喇嘛尊者将会在苏格兰的噶玛桑耶林有一场讲座。我毫不犹豫地赶去了这间藏传佛教寺院

On returning to the west and hearing that His Holiness the Dalai Lama wasgiving a public talk at Kagyu Samye Ling, a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in Scotland,I lost no time in driving to this Tibetan outpost in the unlikely environs ofEskdalemuir near Lockerbie.
五月不寻常的下起雪来,似乎在欢迎尊者的来临。几千名不同年龄,国籍的听众挤满了这座寺院。不同的语言在我周遭此起彼落。突然,现场一片肃静。尊者步向讲台,慈视台下的每一个人。在几个月内,我以这座寺院出家为尼师,以这座寺院为家。
Although it was May there had been an unseasonable snowfall as if to welcomeHis Holiness and make him feel at home. Thousands of people had converged onthe Monastery, far too many to be seated in the considerable temple, so a hugemarquis had been erected in the grounds.
Taking my seat amongst a motley throng of people of all ages andnationalities, drawn together by the spiritual magnetism of this Tibetan holyman of peace, I happily waited whilst people watching, lulled by the rise andfall of multi-lingual conversations that rippled around me. Suddenly there wassilence.
His Holiness stepped onto the stage beaming at everyone with eyes of utterlove and compassion. It was a life changing occasion accompanied by anunmistakable sense of having at last come home. Little did I know that within afew months I would literally make my home at Samye Ling, much less that I wouldbe ordained as a Buddhist nun.
-------------
Ani Rinchen Khandro is a life ordained nun in the Kagyu lineage of TibetanBuddhism. She is based at Kagyu Samye Ling Monastery and Tibetan Centre in Scotland where she has lived for the pastfourteen years, apart from the three and a half years she spent in closedretreat on Holy Island. She recently wrote abook in honour of the Centre’s fortieth anniversary, entitled Kagyu Samye Ling- The Story, which is available for purchase online.
回复

使用道具 举报

Follow Us
 楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 08:46 PM | 显示全部楼层
过去转贴的文章,岁姐已经寄回给我。只是我不知道save在哪里了。找到了再与大家分享。

我只是随便翻译,如果你认为有不对的地方或补充,请指教啦
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:47 PM | 显示全部楼层
How Buddhism Changed My Life---Jacques

By Jacques

(Jacques is a very special friend of and volunteer to the Temple.Although still at the age where most young people are finding out aboutlife, Jacques chose at an early age to become involved in helpingothers. He started learning basic First Aid when he was 15 years oldand soon thereafter began volunteering at the provincial hospital andambulance service near Volksrust.

Although so young, there was no doubt about his competence anddedication, which increased rapidly, due to the shortage of staff inthis field. He delivered 5 babies before he was sixteen!! He continuedlearning and taking all examinations relating to emergency services andafter completing school, started working at a pharmaceutical supplierand continued with his studies and volunteer work in the paramedicfield.

When an opportunity became available he took a position with a privateambulance service and is currently also a qualified instructor for theRed Cross. He was born in Ladysmith, Natal, 21 years ago. Here is hisstory….)

It's about life.

When I was asked how Buddhism changed my life, it reminded me of the question I had asked, ‘What is life?’

Coming from a strict western background, I was fortunate at the age offourteen to start looking into Eastern philosophy. Buddhism, inparticular had great appeal for me, as it’s compassion and wisdomrevealed a totally different way of looking at how everything functions.

Many years later, my first visit to Nan Hua Temple finally provided mewith access to the Great Treasury of the Dharma. Being in the emergencymedical services since the age of fifteen, I have found that theteachings of Buddhism has aided in the treatment of my patients and incoping with the demands of saving sentient beings lives.

Buddhism is to me all about life. What I love about Buddhism is that itteaches us that we are responsible for ourselves. This alone hasenabled me to change my destiny and allowed me to rise above mysituation. Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are unsurpassed Doctors, teachingus the nature of things as they really are. They give us the treatmentto remove and heal the things that cause us suffering. Anything can beachieved, as long as One has the will to continue and one applies theright amount of effort.
Buddhism has taught me that life is most wonderful and precious andthat it resides in everything. Though easily neglected, one should beaware of it's presence in every breath and thought. Even when one issuffering, one should be mindful of life in all it's forms and realizethat we are not alone in Samsara.

Nothing arises outside of Dependant Origination and nothing lastsforever. This realization alone, has changed me from being egocentricto being mindful and humble.
It has changed me from being stressed to being contemplative and has changed my anger to compassion.

Although applying Buddhism will be a life long endeavor, realizing even a small amount of Truth will be well worth it.

So how did Buddhism change my life? It is giving me the freedom to live and serve others, by teaching me how to live.
http://www.nanhua.co.za/nanhua/S ... %20life_Jacques.htm
===================================================
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:48 PM | 显示全部楼层
金城武 篤信密宗追求內心安定
拍戲兩月閉關一月閱讀與修行 讓他更樂觀隨緣
金城武 篤信密宗追求內心安定

年輕就皈依宗南嘉楚仁波切,做了李察吉爾的師弟,多方涉獵書籍使他對表演更進步,演技也更為成熟,但他卻謙虛表示:「皈依不是想貪圖什麼,而是追求內心上的安定」!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

文/高毓霠 攝影/李安國

只做自己、安靜自在,「我想我前世是海豚,自由自在,沒有什麼拘束。生命就是自由地生活…」金城武曾經這樣在媒體表示過。喜愛哲學與佛學的他,生活恬靜淡然、淡泊名利,欣喜追求內心的平靜。

低調卻自在的生活方式

已過了而立之年的金城武,在外界看來一直過著隱形人的生活,連他自己也透露鮮少出門。生活低調,又沒有八卦緋聞,大家以為金城武無欲無求。不過他自己卻表示,慾望當然還是會有,不過沒有必要表達出來。

其實不僅影迷覺得金城武低調,就連與他合作的導演及媒體,也常覺得他很神秘。他則笑著表示,「其實就是這樣啊!我就是很安靜的,因為我不太會講話,我沒出唱片以後,比較少曝光嘛,也不會跑來跑去上節目,自然而然就比較不會在公開場合出現。」的確,對金城武而言,上節目亮相,似乎也沒有太大的必要,他只希望認真的好好演戲,儘管因此被大家認為好像躲起來,但是這就是一種恬靜的生活方式。

哲學讓他沉穩專注

其實金城武自從二十歲生日之後,他就強烈感覺自己已經長大成人,對很多事物都另有一番見解。而就在那段期間,他偶然接觸了哲學,「它奇妙的吸引力令我不斷陷入內裡有趣的思想模式。對哲學書籍興趣濃厚,原因並非因為它給我很大的啟發,而是越多看它,便越發現它有趣的地方。可能是點抽象,但看這種書,令我明白很多事情不只其表面意思,還有更深層的意義。」譬如一個簡單的問題:「愛的相反」,一般的答往往是「愛的反面就是恨」,但哲學書的答案卻令人意想不到,使得他愈有興趣去發掘箇中的意義。

宗教許他一顆平靜的心

除了喜愛閱讀哲學的書籍,金城武也愛看佛書,更篤信密宗。他說信密宗,能讓他內心平靜,投身在李察吉爾同一個門下。

因為母親篤信佛教,所以金城武自認跟宗教特別有緣,比較有機會接近佛學,加上自身很喜愛看佛教小故事。在一九九七年時,金城武皈依宗南嘉楚仁波切門下,與上師的結緣是特過友人介紹,「當我第一眼看到仁波切,就很想皈依。」金城武表示,由於接觸上師的經過就像認識一位好朋友般的輕鬆自在,時常鼓勵他、勸告他,不曾帶給他壓力感,也不會太嚴肅,讓他欣喜的選擇皈依。他還透露,每次看到上師,心情就能馬上平靜下來,覺得格外安定。

對於修行帶給他的改變又是什麼?曾經與他合作多年的導演彭文淳曾表示,金城武因為修密宗後,成熟許多。而金城武認為修行「一切隨緣」,但是他自己也透露,並未時時誦讀經文,常會覺得自己不是一位好的修行者。儘管如此,他卻很明白,「皈依不是想貪圖什麼,而是追求內心上的安定,」他笑稱自己不清楚真理,只是不斷告誡自己要好好工作、好好生活,不要做壞事。

信奉密宗之後,他的確也認為對人生及生活上很多觀念有了不同的看法,比以前更樂觀、隨緣。

像大孩子般的純真

一直以來,金城武個性都很低調,最愛躲在家中享受自己獨處的小世界,甚至會自己動手做個人網頁、寫網誌,對網友的問題也會適時的給予回應。同時,他也是電玩玩家,把網友當做是他現實生活的好朋友。金城武的經紀人姚宜君就曾表示,他不買衣服,吃得簡單,不太上街,生活都很極簡。

的確,對於生活,金城武是很隨性自然,「其實我沒有什麼非做不可非堅持不可的特殊習慣,也沒有什麼很屬於我的執著的東西,總之隨心所欲,順著心情的方向走。」他不喜歡安排太多的工作,寧願用更多的時間看書、旅遊、學習。他認為,一個人在這個世界上能做的事情很有限,所以當然要多挑一些自己喜歡做的事情來完成。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:48 PM | 显示全部楼层
“黑人”归佛
虽然是英文文章,还是希望大家看看!

How Buddhism changed my life

By Jupiter Ngaiza         31 Aug 2005

成长于基督教家庭  
I grew up in a family that had freedom of religious choice, but ourmain view of life was predominantly Christian. This was due to myfather’s faith in Christianity. All the family discipline relied onChristian teachings.

I came across Buddhism at school through my friend whose mother isoriginally from Sri Lanka and who married in Tanzania. He introduced meto the Sri Lankan temple in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, where I metVenerable Master Hui Lee. r,It sounded crazy to my parents, when, atthe end of 1997,I told them I wanted to join the Buddhist monastery asa novice monk. It was a joke until March 1998 when I sent them a photoof me in monastic attire.

My curiosity to learn new things in life, has never ended up to today.

Life in the seminary was like a movie or day-dream, as in the beginningI felt lost in a world I did not know. The monastic outfit lookedstrange and life in general was hard. One of the brothers in theseminary joked, saying that we looked like “penguins”. I missed my lifeat home; I wanted to go home. Thanks to the right guidance fromteachers and senior novices, the days went on. Gradually the seeds weregrowing inside me unconsciously - the teachings I despised at first,became mine, and eventually I started to forget some of my previousincorrect habits and behaviors.

与大师相会
By then I was desperate to become a monk, but unfortunately there werestill some attachments inside me. Some things I was not able to let go.My conclusion was not to become a monk if I could not be a pure monk.Therefore after completing my 3 years as a novice monk, I went toTaiwan to the Main Order. Meeting the Grand Master was a wonderfulexperience that made me want to learn more by staying in the monastery.Staying in the monastery as a volunteer worker has been tremendousopportunity. I have learned a lot from different people, in sharingviews, translating, and meeting different people. I have met all sortsof people, some of whom have become important to me.

我的家庭---全世界
悲哀时,兄弟姐妹支持我
We are eight in our family but I have expanded to make the whole worldmy family. The practitioners in the temple are the family I happen tobe living with temporarily. This is the feeling inside me; in factwords cannot express this experience. When my father passed away lastyear in November, I was very shocked and my practice was not enough toabsorb the pain. But my Nan Hua temple family was there for me. I havekept this appreciation since then and it will always be in my eighthconsciousness. Through this path of my life, I have learned andexperienced things that can not be put into words. I have realized thatthe Dharma has been my transportation to a new life. Patience,compassion, acceptance, gratitude, wisdom and perseverance are tools tomy process of purification.

Patience is path to accomplishment. Patience made three years in theseminary become like three days in the garden of Pureland, it felt liketime should be extended. Practicing patience is like walking - eachstep of your walk should be a full step, with the whole sole of thefoot touching the ground, otherwise a half step will not take youanywhere.

慈悲
True Compassion/loving kindness, is what I call unlimited orunconditional love - this kind of love is so enjoyable. Doing somethingfor the benefit of others without any expectations, brings truehappiness. When you do something for the benefit of othersunconditionally with a successful outcome, it brings true joy andpositive energy to being a better person.

Acceptance is a seed of daily happiness, accepting any kind of outcome,which when combined with gratitude makes daily life full of joy andmore interesting. It brings the tool of positive energy that canovercome regret, grief, and suffering. One’s heart is ready to acceptany circumstances with gratitude. With acceptance and appreciation,even adverse circumstances are a turning point leading to a new chapterin life.

Wisdom is a tool for effective outcomes. It is a foundation with a goalof self-observation. In order to practice fully, you need wisdom toachieve effective results.

Be PATIENT when going through life’s circumstances, no matter if theyare favourable or adverse. With COMPASSION you are able to ACCEPT them,while GRATITUDE/ APPRECIATION should be the reaction whatever theoutcome. WISDOM is what we seek to attain for our spiritual growth.Before and during the process of self-observation, it’s important toestablish the concept of PERSEVERANCE, which should bring peace ofmind. Realize peace of the world from within to bring peace to theuniverse. Your inner world projects the external world. Right action,Right speech, and Right thought are nourishment to other people’sworlds from your peaceful world.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:49 PM | 显示全部楼层
发自内心的呼唤:“佛在我心中!” --- 杨紫琼皈依三宝
杨紫琼,国际电影巨星。她担任女主角的《卧虎藏龙》去年获奥斯卡最佳影片奖。风头一时无两。

在世俗的眼光中,杨紫琼名成利就,成功令人羡慕。然而在她的心底里头,外在的成功并不重要,重要的是能够永远保持会心微笑!

月前,杨紫琼应衍空法师之邀请,出席香港大学佛学研究中心主办的系列讲座「生命定向」,分享她的人生观。

不施脂粉,穿着牛仔裤的杨紫琼,朴实无华。她没有带来熠熠的星光,只散发着浓浓的自在。高朋满座都是素未谋面的港大学生,难得她亲切交心,坦率分享,听得人如沐春风,笑声满堂。

话题就从她的成长开始。正如衍空法师的形容,她是含着银匙羹出生,诞生在马来西亚一个富裕家庭,父亲是律师、成功商人,母亲相夫教子。童年的世界,一切来得容易、开心、美丽,享尽万千宠爱,快乐得如童话中的小公主。

小公主从小情系舞蹈,未懂得走路已经喜欢跳舞,四岁开始学习芭蕾舞,经常登台表演。小公主的世界只有舞蹈,希望有一天成为玛歌芳婷。

美梦破灭

十五岁那年,顺理成章的,远赴英国皇家舞蹈学院留学,前景一片灿烂。

两年后,因为回国放大假疏于练舞,回校上课的热身练习又不足够,又怕老师责备躲懒,所以加倍的苦练,不理会身体的疼痛。那知道原来严重受了伤,而她还懵然不知。

一位慈祥的老医生为她详细检查后,与她天南地北的闲聊,问她除了舞蹈之外,还有没有其它志愿?她初时不明所以,后来看见医生一脸严肃,她一下子领悟过来。霎时间,整个世界崩溃了,她狂哭不止。原来一直以来苦心追求的理想,不断的努力付出,都突然幻灭了,彻底粉碎了她当舞蹈家的美梦。

教授、监护人都不断安慰她。初时她听不进任何说话,幸好激动过后,她慢慢消化其它人的劝说、分析。校长说,受伤不能再跳舞,不表示就此与舞蹈绝缘。虽然当不成舞蹈家,还有很多与舞蹈有关的事业可以发挥,例如研究舞蹈、教授舞蹈、设计舞蹈等。杨紫琼抹干眼泪,重新振作,后来取得了舞蹈的学位。

经此一役,她此后再没有任何梦想,「因为知道无常,环境因素不受控制的在变化。唯一不变的,就是最终必须面对、处理自己的问题者,只有自己。」

学成回国后,有一天,有人问她有没有兴趣到香港拍广告片。「我没有发过明星梦,但倒想玩玩看。」广告片的拍挡是个面善的大鼻子,原来是成龙。

广告片拍竣了,德宝影业想与她签约为旗下演员。她没有特别兴奋,接过合同回马来西亚,心想父亲一定不允许她到香港当演员,到时候就可以推得一乾二净。

又一次的人算不如天算,父亲看罢合同,竟然问她打算何时起程?「既然爸爸同意了,倒不如试试吧,如果不喜欢便回来。」吸引她走上银色事业的,皆因是那份挑战。

杨紫琼的处女作电影是《猫头鹰与小飞象》,洪金宝导演。拍电影令她着迷的地方,就是动作的设计,就好像舞蹈编排一样。她对表达肢体动作的热情,竟然在电影中找到投射。

又一次的顺利成章,她走上动作女星的道路,「除了因为我喜欢动作外,我的广东话不灵光,看不懂中文剧本,念对白只靠死记,如何发音都不清楚,很困难,所以我宁愿动手不动口。」. . . . .

珍惜当下

「我从小到大都懂得从珍惜过程中得到满足,用不着依靠胜负来分高下。尽了全力就已经很满足,毋须由结果来定断。我很珍惜每一刻,因为我们不知道下一刻是甚么回事。如果不懂珍惜当下这刻就是极大的浪费。」

她认为生命好像是一块布,每个人每日都在织不同的图案,每日加不同的颜色、图案。某些针线不对劲,不要紧,用不着拆掉它。不完美才是完美,不完美才是活生生的自己,最重要是这幅布对自己有意义。

「生命的每秒钟都是学习的过程。我就是拿得起,放得低。没有能力就不要拿,如果尽了力也不成功,就要放得低。不要后悔。我们必须接受现实,如果不能,不断在内心斗争,那就很辛苦。」

数月前,杨紫琼在圣一大和尚座下皈依三宝,成为佛教徒。「我对佛教一向有兴趣,那是发自内心的呼唤。缘分到了就皈依。佛教给我很大的安慰,在恶劣的地方我会念阿弥陀佛,佛在心中嘛。」
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:50 PM | 显示全部楼层
印度宪法之父和300,000 ‘贱民’归佛:自由,平等,智信
Ambedkar's attraction to Buddhist philosophy

“贱民”的救主:Dr.Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
Seoul, South Korea -- Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, the savior ofuntouchables, was born on April 14, 1891, at Mhow (now in the state ofMadhyapradesh) in India. He belonged to the lowest caste among Hindus;he was an outcast.

<< B.R. Ambedkar

“贱民”受到不平等对待
The untouchables had to sit separately in schools. They were not taughtwell in schools. They were not allowed entry into temples or theresidences of upper caste Hindus. Higher education was denied tountouchables. Yet with the help of the king, Gaekwad of Baroda, he wentto Columbia University, in New York, and earned his Ph.D. in Economicsin 1917. His thesis: "The Evolution of Provincial Finance in BritishIndia."

After returning to India, he could not serve the king as agreed uponbecause the other Hindus ill-treated him. Hence, he took a job teachingat Sydenham College in Bombay and later studied law at Gray's Inn inLondon. At last, due to many humiliating experiences he decided todefend the poor and illiterate untouchables against the atrocities ofupper-caste Hindus.

He researched the origin of untouchability and dug out from history thefact that they were the broken men, the first followers of Buddha. Theylived in ghettoes outside the cities because they were broken men fromother tribes who were not allowed into Hindu settlements. The Buddhapreached them his religion, ate with them, and lived among them. Theycalled themselves Nagas because they worshipped snakes. The Hinduscalled them Dravidas, Dasas, Dasyus, and Rakshas, among other names.

“贱民”先祖是佛陀的护持者
Ambedkar was proud that his ancestors were the first supporters ofBuddhist philosophy. He thought that Hindu philosophy had weakened thehuman mind through its restrictions, superstitions, caste system, anduntouchability, whereas Buddha's philosophy was rationalist andencouraged free thinking and practicality. Naturally, it strengthenedthe human mind and there arose kingdoms of Nagas out of the broken men.Naga kings patronized Buddhism. It spread far and wide. Later, in thethird century B.C., during the reign of Ashoka, the popularity ofBuddhism reached its zenith.

宪法之父 和 300,000 “贱民”共同归依佛陀!
Ambedkar appreciated and loved Buddhism so much that he converted toBuddhism in 1951 along with his followers, who were nearly three lakh(300,000) in number.

佛陀为唯一的最崇高的导师
He openly accepted that his highest teacher was Buddha. Why did hethink so? What attracted him to Buddhism? The answer may lie in thefollowing facts.

佛教是“贱民”的祖传宗教
佛陀的教导---最高的智慧
Buddhism was the ancestral religion of untouchables as explained in hisbook, The Untouchables. Buddha's philosophy was so simple and sopractical that the simplest layman could gain results by followingthem. At the same time, Buddha's teachings contained the highestwisdom, which the wisest rejoice in understanding.
佛教徒有真正的自由
Buddha never insisted that his philosophy was the best. He was boldenough to let his followers freely leave the fold of Buddhism as soonas they felt that it was wrong and of no use. No other founder ofanother religion ever dared to do that.

佛陀不教导迷信,奇迹。
Buddha never employed superstition, magic, or miracles. He followed thepath of rational discussion and persuasion to preach to his followers.
佛陀是人!他从来期望其他人尊称他为神,先知,神子。
Buddha never claimed divinity for himself in any form. He remained aman in the beginning, in the middle, and in the end. He never desiredto be called God, God's messenger, or God's son.
佛陀是人类追求知识的榜样。
Buddha's effort in his quest for knowledge is a model to us all. Heleft no great teacher of his time un-consulted. Yet, they could notgive a satisfactory answer to his problem. He decided to seek theanswer on his own. For this, he followed the path of meditation,self-torture, and self-denial, but in vain. At last, he realized themiddle path to enlightenment.

佛陀的出离:为了人类的幸福
And what was his quest for? His problem was not selfish. He wanted toknow why dukkha existed on earth. To find the solution to the universalsuffering of mankind, he renounced his happiness, family life, andkingdom.
Maybe all these aspects of the life of Buddha attracted Ambedkar.
==================================================
“贱民”归佛22誓言:

1) I shall have no faith in Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh nor shall I worship them.

2) I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be incarnation of God nor shall I worship them.
3) I shall have no faith in ‘Gauri’, Ganapati and other gods and goddesses of Hindus nor shall I worship them.

4) I do not believe in the incarnation of God.

5) I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnationof Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda.

6) I shall not perform ‘Shraddha’ nor shall I give ‘pind-dan’.

7) I shall not act in a manner violating the principles and teachings of the Buddha.
8) I shall not allow any ceremonies to be performed by Brahmins.
9) I shall believe in the equality of man.
10) I shall endeavor to establish equality.
11) I shall follow the ‘noble eightfold path’ of the Buddha.
12) I shall follow the ten ‘paramitas’ prescribed by the Buddha.
13) I shall have compassion and loving kindness for all living beings and protect them.
14) I shall not steal.
15) I shall not tell lies.
16) I shall not commit carnal sins.
17) I shall not take intoxicants like liquor, drugs etc.
18) I shall endeavor to follow the noble eightfold path and practice compassion and loving kindness in every day life.
19) I renounce Hinduism, which is harmful for humanity and impedes theadvancement and development of humanity because it is based oninequality, and adopt Buddhism as my religion.
20) I firmly believe the Dhamma of the Buddha is the only true religion.
21) I believe that I am having a re-birth.
22) I solemnly declare and affirm that I shall hereafter lead my lifeaccording to the principles and teachings of the Buddha and his Dhamma.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:52 PM | 显示全部楼层

KEANU REEVES
Meets the Dharma

导演的亲身经历,闻后感动哭泣
…..He (Bernardo Bertolucci) spoke about the Tibetan lamas he had metand how he had come from a non-religious background himself, anon-believer, like me. But when he met these lamas, they sort of“infected” him, you know? And as he told the story, I started crying,and realized I wanted very much to be there.
- - - - - - - - - -
I started to have Dharma books shipped out to me whilst I was doingMuch Ado About Nothing, and began reading, practicing posture and doingsitting meditation. The first things I learnt were the Four NobleTruths: suffering, the cause of suffering, the end of suffering, andthe path that leads to the end of suffering. The Buddhists believe inno “self”. The “I”—what we call the “ego” in the West—does not exist.

When I was in Nepal to do the costume fittings, I met a “master”, aRinpoche (Buddhist adept), who was working with Bernardo. I had somesessions with him doing personal training.

He gave me a couple of meditations and he spoke to me about basicallyworking on the notion of “self”. He told me to come to terms with that,then move onto the more subtler aspects, and basically come tocompassion and wisdom– and you will experience real happiness!

非靠信仰,应如验金般验证
The I began working with the Rinpoche who taught me how to deal withthe sense of self. I also learnt many Buddhist practices from him. ButRinpoche also told me not to take what he said on faith! “Taste it,bite it, test it like gold.” I think that is Buddhism’s strength. It’snot proselytizing. A Buddhist will not make you say 14 Hail Marysbefore they give you food. It’s not about that. The principle that haskept me interested in Buddhism is that Buddhist are interested in thetruth. The bottom line in Buddhism is love and compassion and kindnessand happiness for all beings.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:53 PM | 显示全部楼层
500 dalits convert to Buddhism 五百“贱民”归佛
by Muzaffarnagar, Press Trust of India, June 3, 2006
Uttar Pradesh, India -- As many as 500 Hindu dalits reportedlyconverted to Buddhism at a ceremony supervised by the Buddhist Societyof India in Saharanpur district.

According to Acharya Pragya, divisional incharge of the Society, 500Hindu dalits were converted to Buddhism at a religious gathering inAmbola village on Friday.

He claimed close to 5000 dalits have converted to Buddhism in the past couple of months in western Uttar Pradesh.
================================================
Why Dr. Ambedkar renounced Hinduism?

Dr. Ambedkar's role as a prominent constitution maker of India is quitewell known. However, his views on religion, particularly his reasonsfor renouncing Hinduism, the religion of his birth, are not as widelyknown. Ambedkar who was born in an "untouchable" family carried on arelentless battle against untouchability throughout his adult life. Inthe last part of his life, he renounced Hinduism and became a Buddhist.What were his reasons for doing so?

A detailed answer to this question can be obtained by studying his TheBuddha and His Dhamma, Annihilation of Caste, Philosophy of Hinduism,Riddles in Hinduism etc. Nonetheless, some of his articles, speechesand interviews before and after his conversion to Buddhism throw somelight on this question.

Ambedkar’s statement in 1935 at Yeola Conference is quite instructivein this regard. Ambedkar believed that the untouchables occupied a"weak and lowly status" only because they were a part of the Hindusociety. When attempts to gain equal status and "ordinary rights ashuman beings" within the Hindu society started failing, Ambedkarthought it was essential to embrace a religion which will give "equalstatus, equal rights and fair treatment" to untouchables. He clearlysaid to his supporters "select only that religion in which you will getequal status, equal opportunity and equal treatment…"

Evidently, after a comparative study of different religions, Ambedkarconcluded that Buddhism was the best religion from this point of view.

In his article "Buddha and the Future of his Religion" published in1950 in the Mahabodhi Society Journal, Ambedkar has summarized hisviews on religion and on Buddhism in the following manner:

1. The society must have either the sanction of law or the sanction of morality to hold it

together. Without either, the society is sure to go to pieces. 2.Religion, if it is to survive, it must be in consonance with reason,which is another name for science.

3. It is not enough for religion to consist of moral code, but itsmoral code must recognize the fundamental tenets of liberty, equalityand fraternity.

4. Religion must not sanctify or make a virtue out of poverty.

According to Ambedkar, Buddhism fulfilled these requirements and soamong the existing religions it was the only suitable religion for theworld. He felt that the propagation of Buddhism needed a Bible.Apparently, Ambedkar wrote The Buddha and his Dhamma to fulfill thisneed.

In the same article, Ambedkar has enumerated the evils of Hinduism in the following manner:

1. It has deprived moral life of freedom.

2. It has only emphasized conformity to commands.

3. The laws are unjust because they are not the same for one class as of another. Besides, the code is treated as final.

According to Ambedkar, "what is called religion by Hindus is nothing but a multitude of commands and prohibitions."

In the same year, Ambedkar delivered a speech on Buddha Jayanti day inDelhi, in which he attacked Hindu gods and goddess and praised Buddhismbecause it was a religion based on moral principles. Besides, hepointed out, unlike the founders of other religions who consideredthemselves emissaries of god; the Buddha regarded himself only as aguide and gave a revolutionary meaning to the concept of religion. Hesaid that Hinduism stood for inequality, whereas Buddhism stood forequality.

In May 1956, a talk by Ambedkar titled "Why I like Buddhism and how itis useful to the world in its present circumstances" was broadcast fromthe British Broadcasting Corporation, London. In his talk Ambedkar said:

I prefer Buddhism because it gives three principles in combination,which no other religion does. Buddhism teaches prajna智慧 (understandingas against superstition and supernaturalism), karuna 大悲(love), andsamata平等 (equality). This is what man wants for a good and happy life.Neither god nor soul can save society.
神或灵魂并不能救我们的社会

In his last speech delivered in Bombay in May 24 1956, in which he declared his resolve to embrace Buddhism, Ambedkar observed:

Hinduism believes in God. Buddhism has no God. Hinduism believes insoul. According to Buddhism, there is no soul. Hinduism believes inChaturvarnya and the caste system. Buddhism has no place for the castesystem and Chaturvarnya.
佛教不相信神和灵魂。
It is obvious that Ambedkar regarded Buddhism as a much more rationalreligion compared to Hinduism, rather the most rational religion. Hismain objection to Hinduism was that it sanctified inequality anduntouchability through its doctrine of Chaturvarnya. Buddhism, on theother hand, rejected Chaturvarnya and supported equality. He commendsBuddhism for rejecting god and soul and for emphasizing morality.According to him, prajna (understanding as against superstition andsupernaturalism), karuna (love), and samata (equality), which Buddhismalone teaches, is all that human beings need for a "good and happylife".

Ambedkar’s final religious act was to embrace Buddhism. His work TheBuddha and his Dhamma contains his own understanding and interpretationof Buddhism. We may say that Buddhism as expounded in this book is whatAmbedkar embraced and recommended. In this book Ambedkar has tried tointerpret Buddhism in a rationalistic manner. Ambedkar did not believein the existence of god and soul. This is obvious from the reasons hehas given for embracing Buddhism as well as from his interpretation ofBuddhism in Buddha and His Dhamma. In Buddhism, as interpreted byAmbedkar, there is no place for god and soul. Further, according toAmbedkar, Buddha did not believe in rebirth, karma and moksha astraditionally conceived. Besides, Buddha rejected the varna vyavastha.

It is widely recognized by scholars of Buddhism that Buddha did notbelieve in god and soul and also that he rejected varna-vyavastha.However, according to the traditional interpretation of Buddhism,Buddha did believe in rebirth and the related doctrine of "bondage" andliberation (nirvana). Ambedkar's interpretation of Buddhism differsfrom the traditional interpretation on this point. But regrettablyAmbedkar has not documented his book Buddha and his Dhamma. Thereforeit is not possible to say how he arrived at his alternativeinterpretation of Buddhism. From a rationalist and humanist point ofview, one may say that Buddhism is a better religion than Hinduism andthat it is closer to rationalism-humanism compared to any otherreligion. Still, it cannot be denied that Buddhism is a religion andcertain elements like faith, worship and other-worldliness orsupernaturalism, which are common to all religions, are also found inBuddhism. Therefore the best thing is to give up all religions andadopt rational humanism as a philosophy of life.

Dr. Ramendra
Reader, Department of Philosophy
Patna College, Patna University
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:53 PM | 显示全部楼层
Award winning writer to embrace buddhism
Hidustan Times, Sept 24, 2006
Mumbai, India -- Nomadic author Laxman Mane, whose autobiography Upara (Outsider) is revered in Marathi Dalit literature, will embrace Buddhism along with lakhs of his supporters next month.

The move is expected to create ripples across Maharashtra’s religious structure and comes half a century after the framer of the Indian Constitution, Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar, called on the lowest Hindu castes to abandon their religion and become Buddhists.

“It’s my small effort to realise Dr Ambedkar’s dream,” Mane said.

Asked why he chose Buddhism, Mane (55), the youngest winner of the Sahitya Academy Award, said that tribals were “unknowingly” following Lord Buddha’s teachings. “But now we’ve realised that our practices are pretty close to Buddhism.” Mane, now associated with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), said the conversions would protest “government apathy”. He said: “Forget a decent standard of living, most of us don’t even get shelter and proper food. Our literacy percentage is a mere 0.06.” There are around 350 million Buddhists worldwide, a growing number in the West. Maharashtra has 5.8 million Buddhists, according to the 2001 census, the highest in India, followed by Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka.

Mane expects a “sizeable number” from Maharashtra’s 42 nomadic tribes to embrace the new faith.

“We’ll organise a mass diksha (ritual of initiation) rally in Mumbai on December 16,” he said. Initially, 100 representatives will convert on October 2. The two-month conversion movement will start on October 16 at Chandrapur, a tribal district in eastern Maharashtra.

However, Mane refused to term the move ‘conversions’. He said: “We (tribals) have never followed Hinduism and its social norms. So there’s no question of relinquishing any religion.” While Mane denied any political agenda, experts said his conversion would benefit the NCP. He was recently appointed as chief of the Nomadic Tribal Welfare Board, a government undertaking. A close friend of NCP boss Sharad Pawar, Mane works in tandem with Pawar’s daughter and Member of Parliament Supriya Sule for tribal welfare.

Mane’s conversion will be held on Dhamma Parivartan Din, the day of conversion traditionally celebrated on Dussehra, in Nagpur’s Diksha Bhoomi on October 2 this year.

Ambedkar embraced Buddhism on the same day, which fell on October 14 in 1956. But he died the same year, before he could give diksha to his followers on December 16.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 09:59 PM | 显示全部楼层
十万印度“贱民”将会在星云大师见证下归佛
100,000 to Become Buddhists in Hydrabad on 14th October
by Vishvapani, http://www.ambedkar2006.blogspot.com/, The Buddhist Channel, Oct 9, 2006

Hydrabad , India -- A hundred thousand people will become Buddhists inHydrabad on 14th October in a huge meeting in the East Indian state ofAndra Preadesh, that will include up to 400,000 people. The chieforganizer is KSR Murthy, a former member of India’s parliament, the LokSabha.

<<  Dr. Ambedkar's call for emancipation from the oppressivecaste system still resonates in the minds of his new followers.

The event will take place at Dr. Ambedkar Statue on the Tank Bund: thespiritual center for Hydrabad’s Ambedkarites. Every year a very largegathering marks the anniversary of Dr Ambedkar’s conversion on 14October; this year Murthi expects 3-400,000 to attend with 100,000converting for the first time. Many similar ceremonies will take placearound India on the same date, but this will probably be the largestconversion ceremony. The wave of conversions will culminate in a muchlarger ceremony in Bombay on 16 December.

Presiding over the ceremony will be Ven. Hsing Yun President of theBuddha Light organization, which is based in Taiwan and has 120 centersaround the world. The presence of a senior figure in Chinese Buddhismis a significant development for the conversion movement, which hasmainly made connections with the Theravadin Buddhism of South East Asiaand Sri Lanka. Ven.Hsing Yun will administer the Buddhist refuges inChinese (the ceremony through which one becomes a Buddhist) and theVen.Vinayarakkhitha will translate them into Telugu, the local language.

Murthy, who was born in a small village a day’s journey from Hydrabadbut has become a prominent spokesman for his community will be becominga Buddhist himself on that day. He has prepared by studying works onBuddhism including Dr Ambedkar’s book, ‘The Buddha and Dhamma andtaking up meditation. He comments:

‘The dalits situation is still dismal. No political party is committedto making them equal partners in building modern India and though hugesums are said to devoted to their welfare, in reality the money isgoing down the drain. Untouchability continues to be practiced in thevillages and even senior officers from our community encounterdiscrimination. ‘Though we feel that conversion can't eradicate all ofthese problems we do believe that it can lead us to a better future inthe form of Buddhist practice. I feel my whole life started to changewhen I first leant vipassana meditation and now that is my path ofservice to humanity.’

回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 10:00 PM | 显示全部楼层
走在星光道与菩提路的单眼皮男孩——访《Sepet》男主角黄子祥
走在星光道与菩提路的单眼皮男孩——访《Sepet》男主角黄子祥 2005/08/17
■访问:黎家响

提起黄子祥,可能很多人不知道他是谁?但说起本地电影《我爱单眼皮·Sepet》的男主角阿龙,很多观众对他印象深刻。

黄子祥就是那个在电影中爱上马来少女Orked的单眼皮男孩——阿龙。

佛教讲因缘,萌起访问黄子祥当然也有一段因缘……

其实早在去年7月就见过黄子祥一面,那时《Sepet》的导演Yasmin邀请我去她的公司观看仍未经完整剪辑的《Sepet》。电影播完后, Yasmin告诉我们说,男主角阿龙原是她公司的同事,就在我们的惊讶之余她叫了阿龙进来亮相,害羞的黄子祥向我们打了一个招呼,就急急脚的走开。

后来,我静观着《Sepet》如何与保守的本地电检局周旋,《Sepet》反讽的去年先在新加坡上映后,今年才获准在国内正式上映,并取得极佳的票房纪录与挺好的口碑……再然后,我从某佛友口中听闻黄子祥常在他所亲近的道场出现,他开始学佛了……

于是,我起了访问黄子祥的念头,谈谈他的星光路之外,以及鲜为人知的菩提路……

无心插柳柳成荫——阿龙的星光路

性格内向,害怕面对灯光与人群的黄子祥从未想过会走上演戏这条路上,他之前在《Sepet》 的女导演Yasmin的广告公司上班,Yasmin是他的上司。

“Yasmin第一次叫我试镜,我拒绝了,3个月后她再邀我试镜,我勉强答应,试镜那天我非常紧张,于是对Yasmin说我不试镜了,没料到Yasmin说:太迟了,我们已选中你!”

于是,亚龙就因此展开他与电影的因缘。

黄子祥笑说,当年已年届31岁的他去扮演才18、19岁的阿龙担心演不出来,太老了,结果成绩如何?观众大概都有答案了(戏里的黄子祥成功演绎了片中阿龙的稚气、年轻与青涩。)

“第一次拍戏,心理障碍很大,在Camera面前,我常莫名的脸红,幸亏导演从不给我压力,也不要我死背剧情!”

黄子祥表示他挺享受拍戏的过程,大家在一起像一家人般相处得很愉快,导演Yasmin的父母常常煮好吃的东西来片场。

黄子祥很开心《Sepet》最终终于“说服”保守的电检局,获准与本地观众见面。

“《Sepet》开拍的时候面对资金不够,和其他很多问题,不过上映后的反应很好,导演与身为演员的我们都很开心!”

黄子祥最喜欢《Sepet》戏里的两场场景:第一场是Orked的佣人摇电话予他通知他有关Orked 要出国的消息,刚巧Orked出来,佣人马上盖电话……另一幕是即将出国的Orked与父母、佣人一起坐在楼梯上梳头……这两幕戏表面上轻松幽默其实是充满伤感和心酸。黄子祥坦承他是很感性的人。

我对黄子祥龙表示,身旁许多朋友对于片里阿龙的母亲讲Baba式马来话,而阿龙却用广东话回应,有点不合罗辑,黄子祥表示导演Yasmin有访问过一些Baba朋友,他们表示确有这种现象,或许从这点,我们可了解到原来每个人的体验是有主观和局限的。

黄子祥最喜欢的两位导演是日本的北野武和宫崎骏。

“北野武的电影表面看很暴力,其实他的暴力是那么直接的,留给观众很大的想像空间,而他的电影总令我联想起很多东西。”北野武的暴力美学与独特的电影语言都很吸引他。他虽爱看一些非主流电影,不过他强调他也是非常喜欢好莱坞的商业电影,对他而言电影就是电影,他不喜欢将电影以“艺术电影”或“商业电影”来归类和分类。

黄子祥自认,他是蛮幸运的,目前他在演艺路上的顺利是很多人想要追求的。黄子祥告诉我,因为《Sepet》的成功,有时他走在路上会被人认出而指指点点,他很不习惯,由于不习惯面对镜头与成为公众人物,他事先已公开宣布他不想接拍新戏,不过很巧合的,在访问黄子祥的前两天,他主演的《Sepet》在全球华人金艺奖获最佳影片评审团大奖,第二天过后《Sepet》更在马来西亚电影节荣获多项大奖,他更获最佳新人男演员奖,因此这些成功会否改变他不想演戏的初衷?

黄子祥坦言获奖令他惊讶与开心,但他仍旧不想投入电影行业,不过由于对导演Yasmin有信心与信任,他答应在Yasmine的第三部电影《Gubra》演出,而《Sepet》里的阿龙与Orked将会继续亮相……(阿龙不是在《Sepet》死了吗?黄子祥表示这不能说,要卖关子,留待观众在《Gubra》里寻找答案。)这部电影估计在8月尾开拍,明年上映。

而这部新片,导演Yasmin选择用即兴的手法呈献,没有剧本,而由演员自行发挥。

我想,在《Sepet》中为阿龙与Orked这对苦命异族恋人的结局难过的观众,都迫不急待想知道在《Gubra》里阿龙与Orked的情缘能否再续?是否从此以后,阿龙与Orked就过着幸福的日子……

对一般观众来说,总希望现实世界里的残缺能在电影里获得弥补与缝合。
====================================================
生命因信仰而有方向感——阿龙的菩提路 2005/08/17
■访问:黎家响

与许多传统华人家庭一样,黄子祥的家人从小是拜神的(母亲后来信仰日莲正宗)。他对宗教没有抗拒,只是从不觉得有需要宗教信仰的必要。

几个月前,他跟随一个好友去佛光文教中心,在那他认识了几位香灯师,有天他们一块喝茶,当时《普门杂志》的主编沈明信,送给他《普门杂志》,这份结缘种下与埋下了他学佛的种子,以及以后的学佛因缘。

“我看了那本杂志后,发现佛法原来不如我想像中那么深奥难懂,原来佛法很现代与生活化,很符合我的需求。”过后黄子祥就经常到佛光文教中心参与活动与借阅佛书。

黄子祥学佛不久,就毅然参加由东禅寺主办的短期出家,那次的短期出家对他而言是个很好的体验,也令他更深一层了解佛法,他表示那是一个出发、一场洗礼、为他开启了另一扇门。

黄子祥坦言在学佛路上他还是初学者,对佛法仍在摸索。他刚开始也不习惯诵经,不过经过一段时期他逐渐了解一些佛门的仪规,他逢周六若有空都会到佛光文教中心参与共修,聆听佛法开示与诵经。

“我最喜欢听法师开示,我也有阅读佛书,只是工作太忙,阅读的速度较慢。”

黄子祥表示,人过了三十之后,或多或少生命总有一些负担、烦恼与疑惑。尤其现代社会的生活节奏太忙碌,充满压力,因此有宗教信仰,会有很大的帮助,对人生比较有方向感,身心较后易安顿。

“我身旁有许多朋友,表面上看来很开心,他们拼命消费,通过消费来消除空虚,但这些外在的物质是无法彻底解决问题,而佛法是住内观,是精神与心灵上的,只有往心里下功夫,才能处理内心的不安与不满足!”

黄子祥觉得佛法对他最大的受用是他比较能放下与看得开。他以往较容易发脾气,不过现在脾气较能控制,心境较平和。而佛法也教导他凡事不要太执著,不执著得与失就不会太在意,不过他坦言有些东西是到知易行难,若有一天母亲离他而去,他恐怕也很难处理与放下,(看来黄子祥与电影里的阿龙一样,与母亲有很深厚的感情。)

询及他娱乐圈的艺人面对比一般人更五光十色的世界,是否更需要宗教信仰来平衡?

“其实,不只是艺人,我个人觉得每个人都应有信仰,如此生命也较有方向感!”

对于学佛,他并未订下任何目标,或刻意要到达什么层次,他表示只是想一步一脚印,用渐进的方式去进入这充满智慧的佛法殿堂。

对死亡充满好奇

黄子祥表示他接拍《Sepet》,其中一个原因是阿龙在片中的死亡,他很想体会一下死亡的感觉。原来他从小就对死亡充满好奇与疑问。

他很小时候,就常会想父母亲和朋友什么时候会离开他,他对死亡很好奇,但却不是恐惧与惊慌。

接触佛法,他自认对死亡有较深一层理解,他深信佛法里所说的轮回,相信人的生命是延续不断的。

《Sepet》藉借一对异族恋人来表达不同种族不同文化所面对的压力与矛盾,而这些冲突往往是人为的。联想至目前不时发生的宗教冲突,黄子祥有些感慨。

“我想,无论是基督教、回教或佛教,我们应该学习与欣赏彼此的共同点,不应去突显放大彼此的不同,如此的异中求同才能带来和平与和谐。”

我想起《Sepet》有一幕场景:Orked的父亲对妻子说:“我真的不了解你们女人。”Orked的母亲回答:“你的任务不是去了解我们,而是去爱我们!”

或许,放在种族、国家、文化、语言、信仰里,我们也应该有如此宽容的视野吧!

后语:

黄子祥的腼腆与害羞,我在访问他时获得证明,他果然不善于面对镜头,当摄影记者到来时,他显得有点手足无措,为了令他安心与自在,我们选择在访问的咖啡馆外一间未有人潮,还未营业的餐馆面前拍照。

其实黄子祥的访问是在他的上班时间进行的,他“请假”接受访问结束,5点还有会议。于是我在4点半前结束,过后他陪我到酒店的停车场……我无意回头时,看见他像一头飞跃的羚羊连跑带跳的跑着……

希望他在未来的星光路、菩提路或人生路上,都健步如飞……
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 10:00 PM | 显示全部楼层
无常是助力,圆满心中梦

无常也是一种助力。治疗脑动脉血管瘤,
  让我的身心都受到很好的照顾和启发,有如重生。
                   ──王春珠

暖暖的阳光将台北关渡园区的长廊照得益发明亮,随着「请跟我来」的举牌陆续进入受证会场的荣董们,有持拐杖的长者、穿西服的男士、打扮庄严的仕女,还有几位着制服的志工。

元月十三日受证荣董的王春珠,蓝旗袍前襟别一朵莲花,她等到了自基隆赶来的母亲,回到座位,等候典礼开端。她说:「妈妈像是一尊佛,我除了感恩之外,真不知道要说什么,所以今天请她来观礼。还有,无常也是一种助力,由于发现脑动脉血管瘤,让我体悟要把握因缘,而提前圆满荣董。」

王春珠的父亲在基隆庙口练摊卖小吃,历四十年之久;母亲重视教育,让七名子女都以高学历毕业。王春珠一九八八年进入银行任务,认识资深委员慈芬;四年后,王春珠受证成为慈济委员,法号慈暄。

一九九七年,王春珠为母亲圆满荣董,以报父母恩;隔年,母亲将外婆留下来的两百多万元,一百万元以父亲的名义捐做荣董,其余的在九二一时捐助希望工程。

「爸爸在一九九九年元月十五日中风,那天正好是我生日,所以我永远记得。」王春珠说:「爸爸的病一直在提醒我们:把握因缘,做就对了。只是我们没有体会到。」

二○○二年四月,王春珠发现视力变得模糊,尤其是左眼视物愈来愈暗。眼科医师说是老花眼,戴了两个月的老花眼铐,并未优化;看了两家大医院,经脑神经内科检测,诊断为「巨大脑动脉血管瘤」。

王春珠说:「我难过又害怕,真不知道该怎么办。脑海中只响起医师说的:你要赶快找最尖端的医院和医师。」陪同看病且担任肿瘤治疗师的五妹更是担心,建议在台北大医院就医,但是王春珠希望回花莲慈济医院,听林欣荣院长的建议。

「林院长将事情分析得很清楚,让我听了不会害怕。他还说,这种疾病对任何医师都是最严格的挑战,慈院在全省是很难得的优良医疗团队,不过首先一定要和家人商量好,再来住院检测,评估采用何种方式治疗最安全。」王春珠说。

九月三日,王春珠住进花莲慈院,检测出脑部内颈动脉末端长了一个近三厘米的血管瘤,一旦破裂,将导致蜘蛛网膜下腔出血,造成昏迷甚至死亡。王春珠说:「头颅里有颗炸弹,可是在八月底前我都不知道!」经过医疗团队详细评估后,决定采用脑血管瘤栓塞治疗。

十一日,由放射线科严宝胜和周绍宾两位医师及医疗团队,历经五个多小时,以「高尼米线圈」进行血管瘤栓塞的微创手术。由于侵入性小,恢复情况良好,一周后即出院。

王春珠说:「由于脑瘤的因缘,我的身心都受到很好的照顾和启发,有如重生。感恩医疗团队和志工,感恩家人支持,更感恩汇聚爱心建院的会员们。」
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 10:01 PM | 显示全部楼层
佛陀和好莱坞的相遇
Buddha Meets HollywoodBy Susanne Weingarten, Spiegel Online, Dec 20,2006Los Angeles, USA -- When Richard Gere meditates in India, even theDalai Lama makes time for his famous acolyte. Religion has become theopiate of choice for the U.S. acting profession. Some stars need it tomassage their egos. But for a heart-throb like Gere, meditation may bethe path to overcoming his narcissism.

<< Dalai Lama, acolyte Gere: "You have no idea how much monkey stuff is going on in your mind, how cluttered it is" (DPA)
失丧的过去:忧郁,自杀倾向
When Richard Gere reflects on his youth, he pictures a depressive,brooding, lost young man with a leather jacket and long hair. Someonetoting around a copy of Jean-Paul Sartre's existentialist tome Beingand Nothingness. Someone harboring thoughts of suicide who checkedhimself into a New York psychiatric clinic at the age of 21.
When others recall the young Richard Gere, sex comes more readily tomind than existentialism. In his home city of Syracuse he had girls"diving at him from across the street," Gere's sister Joanne recalls.He was a "gorgeous hunk," gushes one theater director who had shared adressing room with Gere at the Provincetown Players in the late 1960s.Like the rest of the troupe, he looks back with gloomy nostalgia at thesupple ex-gymnast with the irresistible erotic aura. That's how easilyself-image and external perceptions can diverge.
The erotic aura no doubt helped make Gere a movie star in the firstplace. His 1980 breakthrough - American Gigolo - featuring the actorplaying a high-class Beverly Hills toy boy, is basically about Gere'sphenomenal sexual impact on his environment.
佛陀的真理使他找回生命的意义,给予他希望
But it was a glimpse of his inner self that made Richard Gere aBuddhist. The depressed young man had sought meaning in life and a wayout of despair. He finally found both - not in the writings of Sartrebut in Eastern religion. "Back then doubts were eating away at me,"Gere noted a few years ago. "And Buddhism as a religion seemed like thetherapeutic way to deal with that. I know it was the right decision.For the first time, I felt I had really found myself."
After the Dalai Lama, the 57-year-old Gere is the Western world's bestknown Buddhist. Nevertheless, to this day many find it hard toreconcile his Hollywood success with his faith. "Monk or macho?" askedPlayboy, displaying characteristic subtlety.
When Hollywood greats discover their spirituality and begin extollingthe virtues of introspection in a world that rewards superficialitywith dizzying fees, skepticism toward professed piety comes easy. Manystars indulge in faith-hopping, desperately chasing the latest trend(and the promise of everlasting youth, perpetual success and eternallife). The winds of psychospirituality blow constantly throughHollywood. First it was Buddhism, then came Scientology, followed bythe New Age guru Deepak Chopra. And for the past few years stars haveembraced the questionable merits of the Kabbalah movement, the currentdoctrine du jour of the cinema city.
Most popular of all are the guilt-free spiritual fads that survivewithout taboos or a stern, vengeful God, and refrain from preaching therenunciation of all worldly pleasures. Piety has no place here, nordoes submitting to the commandments of a higher being, as in theJudeo-Christian tradition. Instead, it fulfills a largely therapeuticfunction, as Gere's case illustrates. It focuses on the individual,emphasizing high self-esteem and well-being. Religion can then becomean active lifestyle component, alongside the psychotherapist, the Yogainstructor, the nutrition adviser and the personal trainer. InHollywood, fulfillment is viewed solely through the prism of commercialsuccess. And success means staying mentally and physically fit.
Scientology and Kabbalah in particular have repositioned their brand ofreligion as a training camp for the spirit. These two movements promisedisciples total wish-fulfillment, even in the most profane of realms.They pledge to deliver better sex, bigger fees and greater professionalsuccess. Both appeal to the ambition - not to mention megalomania - ofmany Hollywood stars.
In an industry that espouses "Nobody knows anything" as its soleprecept, these prospects of fulfillment satisfy a need - something Gerealso understood. They offer stability in a world where success and famehinge wholly on intangible factors, and everyone is only as good astheir last film. And they are empowering: the individual gains theability to influence his or her own development, no doubt a persuasivenotion to these high-strung artists.
The story goes that Gere took to his bed fully clothed after he wasfired as the lead actor in The Lords of Flatbush in the mid-1970s. Thenhe experimented with meditation for the first time.
禅修带来没有压力的生活
Now he sets aside at least three-quarters of an hour a day for hisritual, rising at 4:30 a.m. if necessary because, he says, thisintrospective interval ensures him "a relaxed, stress-free life,"adding that "Almost all forms of meditation are a form of looking atthe mind. At the start you are almost amazed how much noise is going onthere. You have no idea how much monkey stuff is going on, howcluttered it is. You look at that and you're acknowledging what themind is, you're taming it, and when you have done that you have learnedthe power of concentration."
======================================================
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 19-8-2008 10:02 PM | 显示全部楼层
Gere has never exploited his belief system to serve his career, unlike, say, the L. Ron Hubbard adepts Tom Cruise and John Travolta. Instead he comes across as a man who has used religion as a deliverance from his egocentricity, rather than as a tool for spiritual justification and selfaggrandizement. Gere is a narcissist seeking to overcome his infatuation with his own image.
Gere has always been fascinated by the "idea of emptiness" in Eastern religions. "That I was going to disappear was a positive thing to me", he has said. "I would be negated and there would be no more pain because there would be no me. And, I think I'm still hoping that will happen, but I see it in a slightly different way now."
In a city of inflated egos Richard Gere has spent decades cutting himself down to size. This forceful renunciation of self may merely be narcissism in its purest form, in which modesty conceals vanity. On the other hand, Gere's attitude is a whole lot more palatable than the messianic complexes of many Hollywood A-listers.
Apparently Gere's disappearing act has been successful. Journalists who meet him are wont to describe the man as "elusive as smoke," even as a "great big nobody." He is notorious for avoiding interviews, particularly when the questions probe his private life. (Following his divorce from the model Cindy Crawford, he has remarried and has a young son). He prefers turning the conversation toward politics and Buddhism. "You are free when you are no longer at the center of your own life," he professes.
Which does not mean he feels the urge to abandon his Hollywood career. "In this lifetime" his job happens to be acting. "In other lifetimes there are other jobs," he says. Richard Gere, reincarnated as an accountant?
And the fame? All Hollywood stars claim they have little interest in being a celebrity, and are committed only to their craft. Very few sound credible - not even other Hollywood Buddhists like Sharon Stone, Tina Turner, Orlando Bloom, Steven Seagal and even Oliver Stone. But coming from Gere, this assertion rings true: his celebrity status might really be a source of discomfort. He seems keenly aware of his limited role in the big picture. A few years ago, he said he felt more comfortable now that he could put his fame to a good cause.
His private therapeutic journey has taken the American Gigolo on a sociopolitical crusade; now he can demonstrate that life no longer revolves solely around him. As a disciple of the Gelugpa School of Buddhism that holds sway predominantly in Tibet, Gere has embraced the cause of the repressed Tibetans. Several times a year he visits Dharamsala in northern India, the seat of the Tibetan government in exile, where he practices his faith under the tutelage of the Dalai Lama himself - such are the perks of global stardom. But he's also a political activist.
=============================================
In 1987 he helped found the "Tibet House," a cultural institute in New York City. Later he set up the Gere Foundation, which aids Tibetan refugees and promotes an autonomous Tibet. Gere comes across as a knowledgeable lobbyist when he attends conferences, makes speeches and writes op-ed pieces. He is unwelcome in China after repeatedly condemning the ongoing Chinese occupation - once even during the Oscar awards in the early 1990s.
Gere is "an amazing man," says director David Siegel, who shot the religious family drama Bee Season with the actor in 2005. "He spends a huge amount of time at the service of helping others."
为什么是佛教?为什么不是基督教?
Why, of all faiths, was it Buddhism that helped Gere to the enlightenment and wisdom that his friends believe he's attained today? Why not Christianity, the religion he was raised with? The son of an insurance agent and homemaker in upstate New York, Gere grew up in a middle-class family. He was one of five children whose parents sang in the choir of the Methodist Church they attended every Sunday. That's light years from Dharamsala.
认为教会腐败,远离基督教导
But Gere considered Christian institutions "corrupt." His religious upbringing seemed far removed from the teachings of Jesus Christ, more concerned with preserving the Methodist establishment. Discovering meditation was tantamount to finding his "real life." He said, "Every time I sit down and wrap my legs over my knees, I see this image of myself and I say, 'Where the f*ck did this come from?' I have no idea." But Gere believes in karma, a deep inner bond that led him to Tibetan Buddhism.
Switching religions is more commonplace in the United States than in Europe. California, the "Coast of Dreams," which draws those who feel constrained in other, more religiously claustrophobic parts of the country, has demonstrated a great tolerance for all forms of spiritual adventure. The first commandment in the Golden State is to seek out the belief system that suits you best. If the appeal of your parents' religion has faded, California offers an alternative.
The insurgent Beat Generation writers of the 1950s were responsible for introducing Buddhism onto the American religious scene. It suited their antiauthoritarian, revolutionary streak that Buddhism had no patriarchal God presiding over all things; so did its doctrine that everything is part of a grand order of things.
Of course, the Beats could never have foreseen the sway that Buddhism would hold over hierarchical and strictly conservative Hollywood. But at least the Dalai Lama seems to have grasped the involuntary absurdity of the film industry. When he first met Gere in the early 1980s, he asked the star whether he actually felt the emotions he portrayed on screen. Gere replied that this made them appear more credible. His holiness burst out laughing. Evidently the acolyte is still mystified by his master's amusement.
=============================================
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

所属分类: 宗教信仰

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 14-5-2024 04:32 PM , Processed in 0.073149 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.